Close Menu
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025

Southwest Airlines launches Orlando. Marten Flight expands international options for Floridians in April

August 28, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
Sunshine News Network
Home » Two men convicted in a human smuggling case that killed 53 people in 2022
USA

Two men convicted in a human smuggling case that killed 53 people in 2022

adminBy adminMarch 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


According to the DOJ, both Felipe Orduna Torres and Armando Gonzalez Ortega face life in prison in the June 27 sentence.

A federal ju judge on Tuesday was found guilty of two men’s roles in a 2022 tractor trailer human smuggling case in San Antonio, Texas, resulting in the deaths of 53 illegal immigrants and 11 injuries.

Felipe Orduna Torres, 30, and Armando Gonzalez Ortega, 55, conspired with a foreign smuggling organisation that transported 66 immigrants across the US-Mexican border on June 27, 2022, to bring death, physical injuries and Geopardi to life.

The illegal immigrants born in Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras paid between $12,000 and $15,000 for their halted journey in San Antonio, Texas, according to the US Department of Justice (DOJ).

During the three-hour drive, illegal immigrants were packed into trailers without working air conditioning. The swelling heat left some of them unconscious, others clawing the walls in an attempt to escape from the trailer, the DOJ said, citing evidence presented at the trial.

When the trailer arrived in San Antonio, the driver opened it and found that 48 individuals had already died. Five more people died after being taken to hospital. Among the victims were six children and one pregnant woman.

“This case illustrates why we all have to be careful. Human smuggling can be dehumanized, dangerous and deadly,” said Matthew Galeotti, DOJ’s chief of criminal affairs, in a statement. “Our resolve in addressing these crimes is unwavering.”

Related Stories

Four people were arrested in a
US Financial Sanctions Smuggling

Orduna-Torres and Gonzalez-Ortega each faced life in prison with a sentence scheduled for June 27, the DOJ said.

The Epoch Times were unable to reach legal representatives immediately for comments.

An investigation by US and Guatemala law enforcement agencies has also led to the extradition of 48-year-old Ligoberto Ramon Orozco on suspicion of his role in a deadly smuggling operation. Miranda Orozco was arrested in Guatemala in August 2024.

Margaret Leachman, the lawyer for the Western Texas region, said his extradition marked a “big step” in dismantling the human smuggling organisation responsible for the case.

“As we have shown through the trials of Orduna-Torres and Gonzalez-Ortega, we will continue to prosecute this case actively. We have the righteousness of those who seek justice for the dead and who value profits illegally than human life,” says Leachman.

Five other suspects had previously pleaded guilty to felony charges in smuggling cases. Homero Zamorano JR. All five are scheduled to rule later this year, with another suspect remaining a fugitive.

The incident is the most deadly of recent tragedy involving human smuggling. Ten illegal immigrants died in 2017 after being trapped in a truck parked at Walmart in San Antonio. In 2003, the bodies of 19 illegal immigrants were found in a swelling truck in San Antonio.

After taking office on January 20th, President Donald Trump has signed several enforcement measures to deter and prevent illegal immigrants, including an increase in deportation and the termination of one CBP app service.
To tackle illegal immigration at the border, the Pentagon announced on March 1 that Secretary of Defense Pete Hegses had ordered the deployment of elements of the Striker Brigade Combat Team and the general Support Air Battalion.

Approximately 2,400 soldiers, including elements from the 2nd Striker Brigade Combat Team of the 4th Infantry Division in Fort Carson, Colorado, joined the border security mission along with 500 soldiers from the 3rd Fighter Air Brigade from Fort Stewart, Georgia, according to the US Northern Command. It said it brought the total number of borders to around 9,000.

The Associated Press and Ryan Morgan contributed to this report.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

USA

Thames water overhaul comes amid privatization, scrutiny of foreign ownership

June 10, 2025
USA

One of the worst parental leave in the UK, the committee discovered

June 10, 2025
USA

Victims of Chinese bank scandal attacked by security while petitioning frozen accounts, sources say

June 10, 2025
USA

How do major US stock indexes come to June 9th?

June 9, 2025
USA

LA protests turn into riot over the arrest of illegal immigrants

June 9, 2025
USA

Easily America | Epoch era

June 9, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025

Southwest Airlines launches Orlando. Marten Flight expands international options for Floridians in April

August 28, 2025

Video: Invasive Python pulled from a semi-truck engine in southeastern Florida

August 28, 2025
Latest Posts

Florida is growing to affordable prices. Do politicians notice?

July 10, 2025

Donald Trump, Paramount Global and the ’60 Minutes’ travesty

July 10, 2025

Record-breaking state funding updates hopes for Florida citrus crops

July 9, 2025

Welcome to Sunshine News Network – your trusted source for the latest and most reliable news in Florida.

At Sunshine News Network, our mission is to provide up-to-date, in-depth coverage of everything that matters to Floridians. From breaking news and local events to lifestyle trends and weather updates, we are here to keep you informed, engaged, and connected with the Sunshine State.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
© 2025 sunshinenewsnetwork. Designed by sunshinenewsnetwork.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.