Close Menu
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

SeaWorld Orlando Fashions howl-o-scream preview

August 29, 2025

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
Sunshine News Network
Home » Selective surgery waitlist is blown away to get closer to NSW’s Covid Peak
USA

Selective surgery waitlist is blown away to get closer to NSW’s Covid Peak

adminBy adminMarch 20, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Data showed a 220.8% increase in patients waiting longer than clinically recommended for elective surgery.

Waiting times for optional surgery in New South Wales (NSW) have skyrocketed to levels last seen during the Covid-19 pandemic, sparking criticism from the opposition.

The Liberals and the Kuomintang said the health system is under “unprecedented tensions” with presentations in more than 800,000 emergency departments.

A Health Information Bureau (BHI) report released on March 19 revealed that at the end of December 2024 (PDF), 100,235 patients had been on the waiting list for surgery in NSW.

Additionally, 6,842 patients waited longer than clinically recommended, indicating an astounding 220.8% increase compared to December 2023.

The report also found that the number of elective surgeries performed in the October-December quarter of 2024 fell to 54,966, a 7.5% decrease compared to the same quarter a year ago.

Opposition parties criticize the government

NSW opposition leader Mark Speakman said the waiting list for elective surgery has returned to the level seen during the pandemic.

“Chris Mins came to the government with a promise to cut the waiting list for election surgery, but they could only cut their health budget,” Speakman said.

Related Stories

1 Covid-19 death, 5 new cases: NSW Health pays attention to the spread of the virus
COVID-19 vaccine order ends for NSW healthcare workers

Shadow Health Minister Kelly Sloan also condemned the government’s handling of the situation, claiming that patients and frontline staff were paying the price.

“We can’t afford more spin while people wait in pain,” she said.

The government defends progress

In response, NSW Health Minister Ryan Park defended the government’s records, pointing to data that some of Australia’s busiest emergency departments saw “significant cuts” in hospital ramping.

Rise refers to situations where ambulances are delayed when patients are transferred to the emergency department (ED) due to overcrowding.

A report from BHI showed that 83.4% of patients arriving by ambulance were transferred to ED staff within 30 minutes, an increase of 3.5% from the previous year. Hospitals with significant improvements included: St. George Hospital: 25% Points Improvement Blacktown Hospital: 23.2% Points Improvement.

Minister Park acknowledged the ongoing challenges, but emphasized that the government has invested 500 million people to ease the emergency sector.

“We are pleased to encourage advances in our efforts to reduce ramping, but we don’t want to go ahead of ourselves because there’s still so much to do,” he said.

“I want to repeat that we can expect people who attend hospitals that are non-life threatening to wait a long time with ED.”

Meanwhile, NSW Premier Chris Mins claimed he defeated more than 65% of the waiting time for elective surgery.

“It’s still higher than what we want, and we’re working hard to beat it more,” Mins said in a LinkedIn post.

Patients leaving EDS without treatment

Despite improvements to the lamp, the report raised concerns about an increasing number of patients leaving the emergency department before no treatment or completion of treatment.

In the December quarter, there were 67,902 patients remaining before receiving full care, an increase of 5.9% from the previous year.

“The number of these patients has increased by 32% since 2019. The growth in volume of this patient group has outweighed the overall growth of attendees across the ED,” the report states.

Data noted that although emergency cases are likely to receive care, many life-threatening patients faced long wait times.

“The median time they leave the ED for patients who left treatment for 2-2.5 hours, or before or before completion, regardless of the time they arrived at the ED.”



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

USA

Thames water overhaul comes amid privatization, scrutiny of foreign ownership

June 10, 2025
USA

One of the worst parental leave in the UK, the committee discovered

June 10, 2025
USA

Victims of Chinese bank scandal attacked by security while petitioning frozen accounts, sources say

June 10, 2025
USA

How do major US stock indexes come to June 9th?

June 9, 2025
USA

LA protests turn into riot over the arrest of illegal immigrants

June 9, 2025
USA

Easily America | Epoch era

June 9, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

SeaWorld Orlando Fashions howl-o-scream preview

August 29, 2025

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025

Southwest Airlines launches Orlando. Marten Flight expands international options for Floridians in April

August 28, 2025
Latest Posts

Florida is growing to affordable prices. Do politicians notice?

July 10, 2025

Donald Trump, Paramount Global and the ’60 Minutes’ travesty

July 10, 2025

Record-breaking state funding updates hopes for Florida citrus crops

July 9, 2025

Welcome to Sunshine News Network – your trusted source for the latest and most reliable news in Florida.

At Sunshine News Network, our mission is to provide up-to-date, in-depth coverage of everything that matters to Floridians. From breaking news and local events to lifestyle trends and weather updates, we are here to keep you informed, engaged, and connected with the Sunshine State.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
© 2025 sunshinenewsnetwork. Designed by sunshinenewsnetwork.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.