Close Menu
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025

Southwest Airlines launches Orlando. Marten Flight expands international options for Floridians in April

August 28, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Daily
    • Entertainment
  • Florida
  • Latest News
    • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trending
  • USA
  • Business
  • Crime
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Sunshine News Network
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
Sunshine News Network
Home » Radio Free Asia places most US-based staff on unpaid leave
USA

Radio Free Asia places most US-based staff on unpaid leave

adminBy adminMarch 20, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The outlet has announced that it will take legal action to restore federal funds.

More than 200 US Radio Asia employees were notified on March 19th that they would take unpaid leave this week after the Trump administration announced they were cancelling funds.

Radio Free Asia, broadcast across Asia since 1996, has relied entirely on federal funding and has more than 300 full-time employees based in the US. That number now drops to about 75.

Radio Free Asia spokesman Rohit Mahajan told Reuters that the outlet is taking legal action on March 14 to end federal grants to support broadcast operations against what is called an “illegal” decision by the administration.

“There is little remaining funds left to pay our staff. We are floating the RFA as we pursue legal challenges to the termination of grants that are deemed illegal,” he said at the City Hall meeting on March 19.

Mahajan said that visa status depends on employment status and staff who may face persecution if they return to their home country will receive a prioritized exemption from Farrow. All Furloughed staff will continue to receive health care until at least April.

He said it is unclear how long the Farrow period will last.

Related Stories

Voice of America cuts contracts with Associated Press, Reuters and AFP
Lake says 1,300 voiced staff members will be on vacation and the agency says it is
Radio Free Asia is known for its news broadcasts both inside and outside the authoritarian countries such as Communist China and North Korea. For example, at a markup meeting of the House Foreign Affairs Committee last year, Rep. Young Kim (R-Calif) said the family of radio-free Asian journalists reporting on the Uyghur Muslim massacre in China’s New Jiang province was actively persecuted and imprisoned by the Chinese Communist Party.

The news comes after Voice of America announced that it would place around 1,300 journalists, producers and assistants on administrative leave as funding ends.

Kari Lake, the representative of the US Global Media Agent (USAGM), announced the end of the funds, deeming the agency “unrescueable” and unveiled tools to promote a partisan narrative.

“There are bright spots for agencies with talented and dedicated civil servants, but this is an exception, not a rule,” she said. “It is unfortunate that work done by self-interested insiders in conjunction with external activist groups and radical left advocacy groups was done with radical left advocacy groups because government agencies made reform impossible.”

Radio Free Asia CEO Bay Fang wrote to the Lake on March 19, saying the termination of funds was “a breach of the obvious terms of the U.S. Constitution, federal laws and regulations, and the RFA grant agreement.”

President Donald Trump signed the executive order on March 14, directing the USAGM and six other agencies to reduce the amount to the minimum required by law.

“Our federal government is in debt over $36 trillion, and President Trump is committed to making the government more efficient,” White House National Security Council spokesman Blaine Hughes when asked to comment on the letter from Reuters.

“We are confident that our restructuring efforts will strengthen American diplomatic efforts overseas,” he added.

Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty launched its own legal challenge to Tuesday’s financial suspension.

Reuters and Jack Phillips contributed to this report.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

USA

Thames water overhaul comes amid privatization, scrutiny of foreign ownership

June 10, 2025
USA

One of the worst parental leave in the UK, the committee discovered

June 10, 2025
USA

Victims of Chinese bank scandal attacked by security while petitioning frozen accounts, sources say

June 10, 2025
USA

How do major US stock indexes come to June 9th?

June 9, 2025
USA

LA protests turn into riot over the arrest of illegal immigrants

June 9, 2025
USA

Easily America | Epoch era

June 9, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

RNC Chair Gluter will remain in the Florida Senate but will step down from CFO race

August 28, 2025

Florida uses social media to crack down on child predators

August 28, 2025

Southwest Airlines launches Orlando. Marten Flight expands international options for Floridians in April

August 28, 2025

Video: Invasive Python pulled from a semi-truck engine in southeastern Florida

August 28, 2025
Latest Posts

Florida is growing to affordable prices. Do politicians notice?

July 10, 2025

Donald Trump, Paramount Global and the ’60 Minutes’ travesty

July 10, 2025

Record-breaking state funding updates hopes for Florida citrus crops

July 9, 2025

Welcome to Sunshine News Network – your trusted source for the latest and most reliable news in Florida.

At Sunshine News Network, our mission is to provide up-to-date, in-depth coverage of everything that matters to Floridians. From breaking news and local events to lifestyle trends and weather updates, we are here to keep you informed, engaged, and connected with the Sunshine State.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Crime
© 2025 sunshinenewsnetwork. Designed by sunshinenewsnetwork.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.